[pct-l] MSR Triva Questions

--
 I own 4 MSR stoves. ( A 1973 Model 9 that still goes up on all climbs, a
model  G which is a late 70's model , an International  Whisperlight, an a
old Whisperlight) All these stove have a few highes and lows. Any MSR with a
solid fuel tub is less likely to clog than the flex tube types. Newer all
plastic pumps aren't as good as the old MSR pumps with a metal pump plungers.
Jets in MSR stoves are easy to clean , but pulling and cleaning cable out in
the field is a bit more work. My model 9 is still as hot as any stove they've
ever made, very loud and doesn't simmer anything!!
    Both Optimus and Primus make better white gas stoves these days with far
better pump systems made of Alum. and not cheesy plastic than todays current
MSRs.  If you use MSR , don't forget to keep pump lubed well.  On a recent
snowshoe trip , a friend's friend  had a MSR clogged with bad fuel line. The
other acheilles heel is the plastic threads that can cross thread and strip
on pump going into bottle.
    I used  an Optimus 8R in the 70's which works well even with unleaded and
is harder to clog than the MSR stoves. ( Reason is they have a built in
cleaning needle that is bombproof and a short vaporizer tube that never
clogs) The burner and tank will fit in a 1.4 liter pot and you can make a
spoke stand to save weight over heavy blue box) Remember with ANY white gas
stove to use the lowest rated Octane you can find. Coleman fuel is by far
best and cleaner with a octane of 82. If you use high test 92 in your stove,
you could have a major blow out and at very least , lower the life of your
stove's jet.
   Canisters of today are light and work well. ( If you can find canisters
along trail) I still remember David Green in the 70's on his second or third
canister stove which seemed to clog . Also , canisters on their last third of
fuel tend to be dogs, esp. in cold weather . Even the blended fuel ones as
the propane burns off and l;eaves butane sitting upburned in bottom of
canister.
     Alcohol stoves weigh in under 2 ounces and are the lightest  and safest
cookers today on the PCT. If you read many PCT jounals , you will read of
hikers mailing home their heavy white gas stoves in favor of homemade alcohol
burners.
   Fly Brian used alcohol for his triple crown trip in 2001. That should tell
you something about the quality of these stoves.
   For more info on alcohol, go to the PCT web site. For great info of your
MSR and all other stoves Past, Present and Future, go to  WWW.
Spiritburner.com