[pct-l] MSR white gas stoves

I've used MSR stoves for about 20 years. Started with
a XGK, which I hated and never used much. Too noisy,
hard to pack because of the fuel tube, and I always
got a pretty big flame when lighting it. Don't simmer.
Granted, something might have improved since I bougth
mine in 83, but I still don't think it would be a good
choise for a thruhike.

Bought a Whisperlite International for my 96 AT
thruhike. Later used it on the PCT and several longer
(and shorter) trips. It's a stove I've been extremely
happy with. Never had any problems. Easier to light
than the XGK, packs much smaller and it's the least
noisy white gas stove I've heard so far - possibly
with the exception of Simmerlite. It also works on
unleaded fuel (and kerosene, but I don't see kerosene
as an important feature). Negative: Don't simmer.

The Dragonfly. Never used one, never will. Extremely
noisy, maybe worse than the XGK. It's also bigger and
heavier than the Whisperlite. Supposed to simmer
better, and if that's important enough then it might
be an option.

Simmerlite. Just got one a couple of weeks ago, and
I've just tested it once. Initial impressions: It
seemed slightly more difficult to light than the
Whisperlite. Don't know why, might be a combination of
slightly smaller stove (harder to handle with big
fingers), no wick and the fact that I was lighting it
for the first time. It'll probably get easier with
some expericne.
Didn't compare directly with the Whisperlight, but the
Simmerlite certainly sounded as silent or even more
silent. Other positive things: It actually was
possible to adjust the flame. It was more responsive
than the Whisperlite. The visble difference being only
a thinner fuel line. That means that less fuel has to
pass thru the line before adjustments being visible. A
thin fuel line could also mean easier clogging though.

The Simmerlite's also the smallest/lightest white gas
stove I've seen. My Whisperlite fits in a 1.3 litre
pot, the Simmerlite's supposed to fit in a 1 liter.
It's also about a third lighter than the Whisperlite.

So, which to choose? The Simmerlite's extremely
tempting, except for two possible problems. One being
that it's fairly new wih an unproven track record.
That might not be a problem, but do you want to be the
one to find out - on a thruhike? The second is that
it's a white gas stove only. No unleaded, which is
really a shame. Assume they'll make a Simmerlite
International in a couple of years that will handle
both... Anyway, it will probably work for a while on
unleaded even if it's not recommended. Still, if I had
to choose today, I'd probably use a Simmerlite and
keep my old Whisperlite in a driftbox.

On fuel bottles. Milages are extremely person
dependent. Other variables like temperature, wind, how
much/often do you cook also affect your milage. Met
two female thruhikers who survived maybe two weeks
with one of the samll bottles. Don't understand how
they did it. I usually use a medium sized one. That's
enough for even for the longest stretches on the PCT.
I can easily survive for two weeks, maybe three
cooking once a day.

Hope this helps.

Svein