[pct-l] rattlesnakes

I really don't think it pays to think about or worry about snakes on the
trail.  Just wear your walkman (if you are so inclined) and walk.  I've
walked at least 1500 trail miles per year (every year but 2 since 1978) in
the San Diego chaparral country and Mojave Desert.  In that time I've seen
maybe 20 rattlers.  One was at about 9000 ft on Sugarloaf by Big Bear.
Several were on the PCT.

Never once have I seen a rattler before I was even with it or passing it.
Invariably I see motion by my foot just as I am stepping away from it in the
normal course of walking.  The normal forward momentum of walking has so far
always carried me to safety even before my brain could register DANGER.  I
have never even heard one rattle unless I went back for a closer look.

This past summer on Sierra Buttes I was huffing and puffing taking in the
view and catching my breath when a little one (maybe a foot long) slithered
out from between my feet and went on down the mountainside.  He didn't buzz
or rattle or even say "hi."  I'm sure a lot of others have passed within
striking distance of me but never announced their presence.

The snakes are out there.  I see their tracks in the dirt.  Other people
more attentive than me see them often.  My stupid dogs go out hunting for
them.  They stick their heads in every bush.  As a result we've had to pay
for 2 anti-venom shots in 30 years.  Still I don't think that slavishly
watching every step and listening for every buzz would make me any safer.  I
rather suspect that if I were more aware, saw the snake and slammed on the
brakes I would just have more snake encounters.  As it is, I almost never
see them.  I rather like it that way.  They kind of scare me when they coil
up and buzz.

By the way, I live in Joshua Tree (Mojave Desert) and hike mostly in
sandals.  I even did the PCT Campo to Walker Pass in sandals.