[pct-l] RE: Ultralight jacket

> I'm looking for an ultralight parka / jacket to use this summer. I've been
> looking at the GoLite Coal, but would prefer a down jacket.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for an ultralight (less than 1
> lb) down or
> synthetic jacket?

If you really want a ultralight down jacket you won't find
anything lighter than the 10 oz WM Flight Jacket:
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/latestnews.htm
I borrowed a friend last winter for a day.  It was quite warm
but I was concerned that the shell was a bit too light.  Warmer
still is the WM Meltdown Jacket with is 17 oz.

If the jacket is to pull double duty as 1/2 your sleeping bag
and as an insulating layer, I would suggest getting a synthetic
jacket.  I don't worry about keeping my down sleeping bag
dry, but keeping a jacket dry a bit more risky.

As you noted, the GoLite Coal is the classic insulating jacket.
I has been very happy with my Patagonia Puffball and like it's
primaloft insulation... but the current version of the puffball
something like 2x the weight, so that's not an option.  Folks
that seem to be making decent primaloft jackets these days include:

MEC Northern Lite Jacket
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=336167&FOL
DER%3C%3Efolder_id=586627&bmUID=1049603082503

Wild Things Primaloft Sweater
http://www.wildthingsgear.com/primaloft.html

You might want to take a look at  BPL's High Loft Jacket Review
http://www.backpackinglight.com/index/article.asp?did=70

--Mark