[pct-l] Vegan food

I am vegetarian, but eat cheese.  I have a three level system for dinners.
At the bottom is some form of pasta, rice, potato flakes, couscous or
polenta.  In the first two weeks of a trip I eat about four ounces.  I can
eat six ounces once my metabolism really believes I'm going to be doing this
every day.

The second level is dehydrated soup, bought in bulk at Wild Oats, or in
Seattle, at Ballard Market.  I usually eat three to four ounces.  There are
three types; black bean, my least favorite, split pea and curried lentils.
I also add dehydrated vegetables if I've found some that aren't wallet
busters.  For the potato flakes I add three or four ounces of soy baco bits
inistead of soup.  I also carry dehydrated butter for the potato dinners.
For me, this once a week meal is the ultimate treat.  There is a lot of it,
and it is different in taste and texture from the other meals...

The third level is the binder.  This is what makes eating the above day
after day palatable.  Some people are sweets people.  Others are salt
people.  I'm a salt person.

For the binder I use Kraft Parmesian cheese.  It lasts forever.  I've eaten
dinners a year old that were well-sealed in baggies and the cheese was just
fine.  I add two to three ounces of cheese to a dinner.  I sometimes add an
ounce of 4% dehydrated milk.  This is where I get most of my fat.

If you're a vegan, I'm not sure what would work as a binder - perhaps some
sort of dehydrated peanut or cashew sauce.

My dinners average 12 to 14 ounces.

Lunch that I have to pack and mail consists of peanut butter and jam mixed
in 1/2 pint hummus and pint butter containers.  I duct tape the lids to the
container.  I eat 5 ounces of the mix for lunch, (3 oz pb and 2 oz jam) with
four "Sailor Boy Pilot Biscuits."  A pilot biscuit is a 4" wide cracker.
Lunch is usually 9 ounces or so.  I sometimes will put in dehdrated mangos,
the absolute perfect sweet food.  Especially when the trip is longer than a
couple weeks.

Breakfast is granola pre-mixed with 4% dehydrated milk.  If you're a vegan,
water works.  I eat 6 oz of granola and 2 oz of milk.

I usually dedicate four power type bars a day for snacks.  I used to use 9
oz of gorp, but I found I only finished it if I was hungry in the middle of
the night.  It got really unpalatable for me.

That's about 2 and a half pounds a day, too much for the first two weeks,
barely enough for ensuing weeks.  That's about 4000 - 5000 calories.

Jeff Olson
Laramie