[pct-l] Stress fractures

Hi, and now for a positive fracture story.  I fractured my foot on my AT
hike.  I couldn't move my toes and my foot would swell so much that I
couldn't put it in the hiking boot without removing the insole.  Anyway I
finally went to the emergency room and was told that my thru-hike was over
(this was in Pearisburg, VA).  I despondently went back to the hostel on
crutches (which I ditched after a few hours).  The next day the hospital
called back and said that an orthopedist had looked at the x-ray and said
that I probably fractured it about a month previously and that it showed
signs of calcification (ie. it was healing).  They said I could continue on
but it would be painful but I wouldn't be doing any further harm to my foot.
  So I started taking lots of ibuprofen (6 in the am and 6 in the pm of the
advil type variety), and kept hiking.  I did minimal mileage (~13mi/day) for
about a week and then said heck with it and went back to doing 15-20mi/day.
By the time I reached PA, it wasn't swelling but I did have foot pain for
the remainder of the hike.  So, the moral of this story is that you can hike
for over 1,000 mi. on a fracture.  I haven't had pain in the foot for years
so I guess it healed okay.  If you can stand the pain then go for it, I did
and had a really great trip all the way to Katahdin.
Good luck on your bone scan, Christy