From: "Mike DiLorenzo" <dilorenz@hotmail.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 10:31 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Re: foot and other pains questions (mush butt/chafing)

i have found that nothing prevents chafing.  either "mush butt" or between
the thighs.  the only thing that works is to tough it out.

i've tried vaseline/chap stick, hydrocortisone, sun screen, cleaning the
area, etc.  nothing works.  however, in my case this usually only lasts for
one day.  upon walking the second day the skin has healed or toughened up a
bit over night and the chafing doesn't pose any problems from the second day
on.

this is one reason why i don't like to take zero days.  a zero day in town
(in my experience) leads to losing that "toughness" and the chafing appears
upon walking the next day.  i have lost this "toughness" numerous times
after zero days.

finally, i'll just add that due to my employed state, and only being able to
go for hikes on the weekends, i usually come home with some form of chafing
when the day is done.

if any one has a solution, i'd love to hear it!

best regards,
mike d-low-renzo