[pct-l] This time last year ...

Hi

This time last year:
I had finsihed wrapping up all the loose ends.  Plane was booked.  Trail
angels had offered me accomodation and a ride to Campo.  I had no work,
having suspended for a year.  I was training well enough.  I was getting
nervous about the trip.  Reading and re-reading all the stories/reports/gear
surveys.  I wondered if my expectations would be accurate, I wondered if my
dodgy knee would fail in week one and I'd be back home early

Basically things were sweet, life was great.

This time this year:
I'm bogged down deep in the realities of the real world. Working hard at a
new job, trying to recover financially from a year off.  Trying to get back
into my post-grad studies, after a year off.  Trying to get some fitness
back (Oh how it wains after a few months).  Still wondering if my dodgy knee
will fail (have a canyoning trip on Saturday)

Basically things are just a different sort of sweetness, with a tang of
modern-world frustration

I read the PCT_L mailing list a couple of times a week, and I look
occassionaly at the snow surveys for the Sierras (it will be a good year I
reckon).  The mail list is such a great escape back to my memories of last
year.  I am deeply envious of those who are starting the trail in a few
weeks, or who are already on it.  I'd love to to take another uyear off and
do it all again. Maybe in a year or two.  maybe some other trip.

I'm writing this at 9:30 in the morning, I really should be getting back to
work, that code won't write itself, but it's too pleasant to think back a
year.

To the Class of 2003 - have a great trip.

On those days on the trail when you wonder 'why', you could take some
comfort in the words of the late Australian hiker Paddy Pallin:
   "The best place to be is here.  The best time to be here is now"

good fortune
phil
('Donk' - Class of 2002)

--
Phil Preston,
Artificial Intelligence Group,  School of Computer Science