[pct-l] Tehachapi to KM water

In '94 there were no water caches, and we filtered, oh, maybe 2 gallons from
the spring at Kelso Valley/Butterbredt Canyon road junction.  What a stew
(at least, anything with a cow ribcage protruding from it must be a stew -
can't really be a clean water source now, can it?)  Chuck (Igor) managed to
find a trickle of cleanish water flowing over a cottonwood root, and dipper
by dipper, filled the water bag for treating.  While he was collecting
"water" ;-), he looked behind him to see the ribcage he'd not seen in his
quest for an inlet to the the "pond."  eeeewwwww......and Igor, the
gentleman, didn't tell me about the ribcage until sometime later, probably
after McGiver's Cabin.

This nettle-choked seep is on my personal (fwiw) list for future PCT
projects, if the property owner/lessee is willing to fence off some of the
spring from cattle.  Seems that a concerted effort could render the spring
suitable for human access.  In 2001, Igor & I visited the spring to see if
anything had changed... it seemed that the spring itself was only more
nettle choked and nasty than it had been in '94, suitable only for birds,
small mammals, and nettle-immune cattle.

Thank goodness for the trail angel who supplies the water cache on the
trail.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija

"Never measure the height of a mountain, until you have reached the top.
Then you will see how low it was."  Dag Hammarskjold