[pct-l] question about bear cannisters - where to stash them at camp?

--
Stick it in a bush or depression on the ground so a bear can't swat it into
the creek or over a cliff.  They can't pick it up.  I painted a fluorescent

According to the Yosemite Park Ranger I talked with this morning, bear
canisters are actually required only above 9,600 feet, i.e., where there are
no trees to hang food.  However, he recommended not hanging food anywhere in
the park because the bears will tear up the trees trying to get it.  I should
add that any self-respecting Yosemite Yogi will be successful getting your
food even if you hang it properly.

Don't start a flame over this.  If you ask a different ranger, you may get a
different answer.  And, regs on other parts of the JMT are different.  SEKI
is pretty hyper about their bear can regs.
_____