[pct-l] how many socks?

I carry 6 pairs.. 3 each lightweight polypro and heavy wool/nylon
blend.  I change daily.. washing one pair of each at night so I always
have a pair in reserve (one set on feet & two in pack).

I rarely change during the day, but then I rarely hike 20-mile days,
either.  I have a friend who advocates changing at noon, but he does
not put on a fresh pair.. he switches left to right and vice-versa.
The theory is that this moves the compacted spots around, and evens
out the wear and tear on both foot and sock.

I have tried this, and it is somewhat refreshing.. but I am not sure
that the switching is as important as just the airing-out!

Kurt P. Herzog
Grants Pass, OR 97526

kpherzog@sdesign.com