[pct-l] Lone Pine - worth a stop?

Karen, my $.02 -

You'll definitely be able to resupply at Lone Pine, and since you're going
to climb Whitney you're already going to do the ascent to Trail Crest (the
pass).  At Trail Crest you'd take the trail down towards Whitney Portal,
about 11 miles.  There it's likely you'd be able to hitch out to Lone Pine.

BUT - and this is a big BUT - the trail down from Trail Crest switchbacks
back and forth across a BIG headwall - and may still be snowcovered when you
get there.  The downroute can be done with an ice axe and mountaineering
skills if the trail's under snow. It's also about 5,000 feet of drop to
Whitney Portal from Trail Crest (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) - and
5,000 feet back up to regain the PCT.  The trail itself, if not under snow,
is well traveled and maintained - and imho, beautiful.

Choosing to go out over Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley involves less
elevation gain and loss.

Another way to get out to Lone Pine is from the Horseshoe Meadows area,
where you'd take a connecting trail to the Cottonwood campground.  However,
in early season you might not find anyone there to hitch out to Lone Pine,
and it's a loong walk down to the highway.

Then again, jape has a decent suggestion which would involve hiking a small
portion of the trail twice, but far less elevation gain - going out Whitney
Portal via Trail Crest, then returning from Horseshoe Meadows to the PCT.
The trailhead at Horseshoe Meadows is higher than Whitney Portal, and you
don't have to go over a  13,000' pass to get back to the PCT after
resupplying.

Food ;-) for thought -

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija

"Never measure the height of a mountain, until you have reached the top.
Then you will see how low it was."  Dag Hammarskjold