[pct-l] Down vs. Synthetic

In a message dated 3/31/03 10:37:50 PM, jhebert8@hotmail.com writes:

<< I planned from the start on taking a synthetic bag on the PCT.  I am from
Washington, I know how much it rains here, and have always used synthetic
for fear of a wet, heavy, worhtless bag.

If you carry a down bag you must have some sort of defense against rain. I
carry mine (and extra clothing) in a trash compactor bag, inside my pack with
another compactor bag cut to fit over my entire pack when it is raining or
might.
 At night, if rains, I put my bag inside a bivy bag. If the tent starts to
leak, I put everything I have except my pack and boots in a garbage bag, and
put the lower half of the bag/bivy combo into one of the compactor bags. I
have never had a wet bag even on numerous trips in the rain forests of the
Olympics. I am the proud owner of a Feathered Friends custom bag.
 If you must, somehow you will