[pct-l] resupply/stealth

I have a few more questions.

1.  My wife and I are starting the JMT at Horseshoe Meadows on June 1.
 We are thinking of resupplying in Independence which is only 62 mi into
our trip b/c otherwise it's 158 mi to VVR and we don't think we will
want to do the high miles/day required to carry a reasonable amount of
food.  Our base weight is 24 lbs.  (comments here are welcome too) Of
course we will still hit VVR and are looking forward to this rite of
passage.  Any comments on this resupply strategy?  Will there be hikers
or fishermen to catch a ride to town with that time of year?

2.  Here's a dumb question.  When you stealth camp, you cook dinner at
one spot, then hike several miles more to your campsite.  Should all
food be prohibited at the camp site including non cooked snacks like
jerky?  I often am hungry at night on trips...can i snack or is this a
no-no?

3.  How's the snowpack looking?

Thanks for all the help.  Sometimes I can thank you individually b/c i'm
really busy writing my dissertation.  Peace to all.

Nate JMT 2003