[pct-l] Memories of MRE's and other rations

Quite frankly, I preferred Mountain House over the other brands of freeze-dried
backpacker foods or similar such stuff. However Mountain House changed their
recipies some years back and I no longer like them. For what little packing I do
now, I put together my own.

I keep cooked and dried ground beef and tomato sauce in my freezer; then pull it
out to put together meals when I pack. I've bought dried eggs, bell peppers, and
onion from King Arthurs flour (they are on-line) for scrambled eggs in the
morning. I also make my own beef jerky and have it ready in the freezer. Add a
few things like nuts and pasta and I'm set. I've also carried canned chicken and
tuna for evening meals.

Obviously I'm not thru-hiking. There are ways to have more than endless mac &
cheese on the trail.

John