[pct-l] Re: equipment questions

Matt,

A few opinions/answers for you:

3) Cookware - My question is what size do most
thru-hikers use?

I used a 0.9 Liter Evernew on my AT thru-hike  and
when I hike solo.  I've never had a problem with it
not being large enough.  It's the perfect size for
solo.

4) Shoes - Do people really change shoes for the
Sierras?

I wore midweight Asolo 520s on the PCT from Campo to
Independence, when I had to get off the trail.  I
tried wearing New Balance running shoes, but they
caused me severe pain.  As soon as I reverted back to
the boots, my foot pain went away.  Three other
thru-hikers that I hiked near in '00 also wore
midweight boots with great success.  You will hear
people say that PCT thru-hikers ONLY wear running
shoes - not true.

My hiking partner and the majority of thru-hikers wore
trail runners of some kind, but my partner mailed his
midweight boots along with our other Sierras gear to
Lone Pine.  He wore boots in the Sierras and was glad
to have them on Forester Pass.

My recommendation is to wear your normal hiking foot
wear, carry your lightweight running/trail shoes with
you and experiment as you go (if you don't have time
to experiment before you leave).  If the lighter shoes
work after several days of trial...then mail your
boots ahead to Lone Pine for use in the Sierras.

You'll find a lot of wisdom in the archives regarding
use of instep crampons.  I would not recommend it, as
they can dangerous if you do not have practice using
them.

6) ...or should I just bite the bullet & get something
like a Tarp Tent or the Nomad Lite?

I used a Mountain Hardware Bat Ray tarp tent hybrid on
the southern PCT and really like it.  Very light and
capable of handling bugs without much trouble.  I
would take it again.  (I WILL take it again!)

Hope that you have a wonderful hike!

Nocona