[pct-l] Memories of MRE's and other rations

We were issued MRE's for an overnight hike at a boy scout camp.  We were
highly amused by the dessert, a "cake" about 1/4 inch thick and a few
inches square, very sweet and chewy, that came in several flavors.  We
called it "cake jerky".  And yes, the excess packaging was laughable.
One summer I worked as a backpack trip leader for a church camp.  Each
week I would take a group on a Sierra trip.  Great job!  Our Rich-Moor
food rations were stored in the maintenance shed for the summer, and
about the middle of the summer we found that the maintenance guys had
broken into the cartons and stolen all the goodies (snacks and candy)
from the meals.  After a summer of Rich-Moor I could never eat the stuff
again, so I had to learn to dehydrate my own food.
llamalady