Not so fast! Re: [pct-l] Last resort weapons

t 04:20 PM 3/31/03 -0800, JD Schaefer wrote:
> Uh. . . . While you're getting out your fuel, uncapping it, dousing the
>bear
>with it, then looking for your REI matches, lighting one, getting close
>enough to the bear so that the match doesn't go out, and igniting the doused
>fur, . . . uh is he going to be laughing at a "dumb deer"

<snip>

Actually...not so fast here!! There is time to kick the
tires and light the fire....read on:

2 years ago near Donahue Pass, on the north side, I was bothered
by seemingly more & more aggressive bears on many trips on multiple
failed attempts to summit Mt Lyell.(The tallest peak in Yosemitie
and the one you can clearly see from TM in all its beautiful,
exquisite majesty. This trip was to last two weeks as was
planning to summit several of the 14'ers down the JMT.

On the 3rd trip (after loosing ALL food on the 2nd trip) I was
determined not to loose any at all...I prepared a camp alarm
consisting on my pot, rocks, and silver ware and about 100 feet of twine.

I strung my perimeter at ankle height so if the twine was pulled it would dump
my pot and silverware off some rocks and awaken me. Additionaly,
I had my gasoline bottle plus a big pile of dry kindling strategically
placed nearby my tent and ready for instant use.
 I slept with my lighter under my  pillow of extra clothing.

At 3am, I sensed something and awoke, momens later I was
fully rudely awakened by my alarm, jumped up, doused the wood pile with
gas, lit it, and scared the crap out of myself probably more than
the bear now only about 10 feet from me, by waving my also
strategcially placed 4' torch (limb wrapped in lots of dead grass).

I battled this bear, who persistently tried to go into my
tent, then after my pack, and after my canister (yes, I had one
but all my food for the 2 week trip would not fit into it)
until 5am, maddenly rushing around for more downed wood
as the fire started to go down every 15 minutes..I finally found
a dead downed tree that became an infinite supply of wood,
but it was 200 feet away..so I had to run to get the wood, run
away or around the bears latest charge, throw wood on the fire,
throw rocks and wood at the bear, who was soooooo insistent I
was beyond scared, and really getting pissed at this overgrown
racoon (which all black bears really are!) and replenish my torch,
all at the same time.

I was getting tired and more fearful/angry as time worn on..
this animal hand been badly habituated and WOULD NOT give up!!..

At about 5:10 am false dawn was breaking, and the bear,
seemingly totally bored now at my antics of the last
2 hours, ambled away...but not before I gave it one
more hot whack on its ass with my torch...I knew it
was singed becasue of the smell...

I consider that a battle well fought and myself the victor
becasue all s/he got was one of my still fresh burgers
from the TM store!
S/he got the burger but left the cheesburger..I guessed
later that I was lucky every bear in Tuolumne meadows
did alight on my camp with the way the placed reeked of
greasy burger!

I still cannot fathom the utter agressivenss of the
animal...this was about my 15th or so bear encounter in
the last 30 years of hiking and climbing and never
has one been so assertive and aggressive. I culd not
for the life of me get its license plate number it had
on its ear... (I forgot my  bear spray this trip)...