[pct-l] Last resort weapons

 Uh. . . . While you're getting out your fuel, uncapping it, dousing the
bear
with it, then looking for your REI matches, lighting one, getting close
enough to the bear so that the match doesn't go out, and igniting the doused
fur, . . . uh is he going to be laughing at a "dumb deer" joke (or whatever
makes a bear laugh enough not to sense danger or be annoyed at the vile
smelling substance this puny, potential meal [you] has just thrown on him) ?

 If he (or she) has gotten that close, and you haven't followed the advice
of
trying to look bigger than it (depending on species), made a lot of
frightening noise, or curled yourself into a ball while protecting your
skull, it might be too late for any pyrotechnics, however brave.
JD