From: "Christopher Van Loon" <vanloonc@yahoo.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 11:02 PM
Subject: [pct-l] Phone card(s) and phoneless voicemail?

--

While on the trail, my wife and I will be, to put it bluntly, homeless.  My
house will (with any luck) be closing in a little over two weeks, and my
wife is an Australian citizen.  So, we'll have no phone number whatsoever
for five months.

In an ideal world, we'd love to have the following:

(1) A phonecard, rechargeable by credit card, that has flat rate long
distance calling, and flat rate international calling (the latter for my
wife calling her folks and friends in Australia).

(2) A voicemail service that collects messages for us, without us having to
actually have phone service.

We'd settle for the former, of course.  I searched the archives, but
couldn't find anything on a subject search.  Anybody have advice on who
might offer what we're looking for?  I probably should have looked into this
earlier, but it's just one thing on a list of about a thousand things to do
(a common refrain among thru-hikers, I'm sure).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Phoenix, PCT 2003

http://www.trailjournals.com/phoenix

Christopher Van Loon