[pct-l] equipment questions

reviews and tests on the planet.

-----Original Message-----
From: pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Ripperton Matt
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 8:22 AM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] equipment questions

Has anyone tried Moonlite's vest harness?  Does it distribute weight across
you body like they claim, or is the weight really still on your shoulders
only?  Does anyone have any suggestions to help me choose between a G4 and
the Moonlite, or something else?

### We will be testing these packs on BackpackGearTest.org in the very near
future.

6) Finally, I am trying to decide what to do about shelter - I've never been
a tarp person.  Last year I bought a North Face Canyonlands, which I love,
but it's around 4#.  They do have a groundsheet that you can pitch with just
the fly, but then the bottom's open & I'm concerned about mosquitoes.  I
also don't know how much weight it really saves if I have to also have a
bunch of bug netting.  So my question, is the Canyonlands fastpack footprint
a reasonable option, or should I just bite the bullet & get something like a
Tarp Tent or the Nomad Lite?

### Have you considered a hammock? A Hennessy Hammock Ultralite Backpacker
weighs less than 2 pounds and will keep you up out of the mud and the blood
and the beer....   ;o) And protected from the mosquitoes. For the temps
you'll most likely encounter you could easily get by with a 3/8" foam pad.
If you use a Big Agnes bag it's even easier. I've taken a BA Horse Thief, a
3/8" foam pad, and a windshield reflector pad (cut to mummy shape) to below
30 dg. That combination would give you a shelter offering bug, rain, and mud
protection down to around 30 dg. (your clothes on would take it further)
with a total shelter/sleep system weight of just a hair over 5 pounds. That
combo would also cost well under $400.00, even at retail.
BTW, there is frequently discussions about using hammocks in cold weather. I
can only relate my personal experiences. I've been using them for about 4
years. I've been using Big Agnes bags for about the same period. I backpack
in the mountains of Utah. For obvious reasons, I rarely use a hammock in the
red rock country of southern Utah. I find the combo very easy to use. I did
not find hammocks easy to use with "standard" bag and pad (separate). There
are many people that use that setup with no problems. I'm just very lazy. I
want the system to be easy to use and no hassle.
There is one downside to using a hammock. They'll ruin you for sleeping on
the ground. I still use a tent in slick rock or deep winter. I always look
forward to getting back to my hammock....but a Big Agnes Air Core does
help...lol. I know this sounds like a commercial for both companies but when
I find something that works I see no point in not saying so.

Jerry