[pct-l] PCT & Public Land Use - Agua Dulce to Lake Hughes

--
Moose,

I typically stay out of many topics that rage on the PCT mail list, but I a=
bsolutely must respond to your post dated March 25, on the Agua Dulce to La=
ke Hughes thread.  I have never directly and openly opposed a statement a h=
iker (or post contributor) has made before, and it pains me to do so now.  =
However, my desire to protect the PCT (and to encourage others to protect i=
t as well) outweighs my concern for neutrality in this instance. You state:
  "US public lands are just that- public. Everyone has a right to use them =
not only backpackers. This includes the PCT and the land surrounding it. It=
 is not up to some vote or petition or public opinion on who uses public la=
nds. When taxes are no longer used to support them you will have a leg to s=
tand on but until then people have a right to use them- whether ATVer, back=
packer, or mountain biker."
You are WRONG about the PCT.  It is a hiking and equestrian trail ONLY.  Mo=
torcyles, ATVs, and mountainbikes are prohibited, and there are fines assoc=
iated if the offenders are caught.  The PCT is maintained in large part by =
private and volunteer efforts, with the cooperation and some-time support a=
nd funding from various agencies.

If you believe that public lands should be there for anybody to use, I gues=
s you support motorcycle and ATV use in say, Tuolumne Meadows?  Sure, let '=
em tear it up everywhere!  Motorcycles and their ilk destroy the trail.  Th=
e scars are plain to see. There are countless other roads and trails that a=
re there for mutiple use.  The PCT is just not one of them.

-=3DDonna Saufley=3D-
equestrian, hiker, mountainbiker, and mother of an motor cycle rider