From: "Grey Eagle" <greyeaglexxx@earthlink.net>
To: "yogi hicker" <yogilists@hotmail.com>,<pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Skeeters???
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:13:27 -0600

I've hiked north from TM on the PCT and never found much for bugs there. All
through the sierras I sleep without shelter except in inclement weather in
just my sleeping bag (and usually with alot of skin showing since I sleep
naked and its rarely cold) and mosquitos are never a problem. I also fish,
read, and birdwatch alot so I'm not always walking. I have yet to find
mosquitos bothersome. There are some but if a person just ignores them he
won't even notice them. That's generally how it is with insects like
mosquitos. People get too stressed out by them. Spend some time in Northern
Minnesota or Wisconsin in the summer without deet and you'll be laughing at
the idea they're 'bad' in the sierras. Remember its not like they carry any
dieases like in cental and south america so so what if a few mosquitos land
and take a little blood? It doesn't hurt and doesn't even itch if you don't
kill the little bastards and break the needle off in your skin.

Also the sun in the sierras isn't hot enough to bother with any kind of sun
protection. By dumping both deet and sun lotion a person can save about 6
ozs or over 1/3 pound!!

The sierras are a very nice, mild place to hike in the summer. Rarely harsh,
few bugs, no dangerous animals, great people along the way. Its a good place
to relax- there are no worries there.