[pct-l] yogi's resupply strategy - VVR

In a message dated 3/28/03 7:44:02 PM, yogilists@hotmail.com writes:

<< VVR is one of those places that you'll never forget.
Not because of the food, or the tent cabin, or the shower.  But because of
the time you spend with your fellow hikers who just went thru the same
frightening/fun/crazy/harrowing experiences in the Sierras with you.

The people who work at VVR are wonderful. >>

I agree completely. But man, 195 miles in the Sierras without a resupply
between KM and VVR is a major grind with all that food weight and elevation
gains over those 6 major passes. Hikers probably lose more weight here than
anywhere else along the PCT. 5000 calories a day would not suffice. I
remember eating an entire pound of Oreos just for break snack
 I also liked the "towns" of Seiad Valley and Stehekin. Both very hiker
friendly. And who can forget the Sauffley's, the people who helped me in
Castella, the firehouse in Big Bear City and the great people of the postal
service who went out of their way again and again and again to assist thru
hikers. The woman at Snoqualmie even got me a room with a 50% discount and
drove me there in her car!  I could recite dozens of acts of random kindness
that occurred on the PCT. The memories of that are every bit as important to
me as the hike itself
 The one story that really shows how many people feel about thru hikers: I
approached a grocery store near Silverwood Lake only to find it had been
closed for two hours. As
 I walked away, the door opened, a head popped out and a voice inquired, "are
you a PCT hiker?" When I said yes, he threw the door open, turned on the
lights and said, "well in that case, come on in! "