[pct-l] Best trail town on PCT Hikers Never See!!!

Last August after completing the section between Stevens Pass and Stehekin,
Chuck/Igor and I took the Lady of the Lake to Chelan (after showering in
Stehekin), where we stayed overnight near the Campbell House, and had an
AWESOME dinner there, complete with glasses of very nice port for dessert.
Even though we were in hiker clothes, none too clean, we were treated like
dressed-up guests.  We had arrived in Stehekin on a Sunday when the P.O. was
closed, so our package with clean clothes and sandals wasn't available (and
Chuck was anxious to get back on the road home to get back to work -
sometimes my husband truly puzzles me ;-).

The following morning we hopped on the local bus for an hour's ride to
Wenatchee, where we had left our vehicle for six days (and I can also vouch
for the Red Lion Inn in Wenatchee - after only a night's stay there, the
manager permitted us to park in the parking lot for the six days we'd be
gone.  Nice people, all around.).

Lake Chelan is amazing.  About as deep as Lake Tahoe, but narrow - almost a
fjord.  Even though the border monument is calling, consider Monte's
advice - you might otherwise not get back up to that part of Washington any
time soon.

A note on the shower in Stehekin - flip-flops are really helpful to keep
your feet off the saturated floor of the public shower room...
if you don't have them, then keep your socks on to protect your feet from
dreaded athletes' foot fungi ;-) .

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija

"Never measure the height of a mountain, until you have reached the top.
Then you will see how low it was."  Dag Hammarskjold