[pct-l] JMT - 3 Questions

Hello!

I am planning on finishing the JMT this year after doing
Yosemite to Bishop Pass last year. I plan to hike in on the
Bishop Pass Trail and come off at Whitney Portal with a
side trip to Onion Valley to resupply.

Can anyone tell me what kind of facilities Onion Valley
campground offers?  Showers? Are the roads there pretty
decent? I plan on having our shuttle driver meet us with
our resupply.

What about permits and canisters? Can they be picked up in
Bishop? Do you need to get the permits in advance and where
would one call?

And about the weather in September?  I am thinking of
either starting my hike on the 4th and coming off the 13th
or going from the 11th to the 20th. Any opinions? I imagine
would we have to expect nights to get down to 20 but I
prefer to not get into temps lower than that.

Thank you for any information.
Susan Faidley "Evergreen"