[pct-l] Entering Canada

--
On the PCTA website their is a form you can download and mail to Canadian I=
mmigration who will then send an official document showing you have permiss=
ion to enter Canada via the PCT.

http://www.pcta.org//planning/before_trip/permits/canada_permit_app.html

I met officials at Monument 78 on September 17 last fall. They were extreme=
ly courteous. The list they had was of names of people who had bothered to =
send in the forms. The date you enter doesn't mean much. It's just to give =
them a general idea. I told the immigration official I was proud that I act=
ually showed up within 3 days of my original plan from almost six months ea=
rlier and he laughed.

Later that night, outside the restaurant at Manning Park, I spoke at length=
 with a the immigration official and the BC policeman I had met at the bord=
er. They are not Gestapo agents. They were very friendly likeable folks.

And yes it is because of 9-11 that they were there.

I asked about people who didn't have their ducks in a row. I was told they =
should have any problem as long as they have ID with them. If someone has a=
 warrant out on them they'll have a problem.

The two PCT hikers I was at the monument did not have their ducks in a row,=
 and yet were treated courteously, and let in without any problem.

To change the subject, I concur on Yogi's plan. That is almost exactly what=
 I'd do if I were to do another PCT thruhike. Mohave is easier than Tehacha=
pi, and you can prearrange a pick-up at the trailhead with the folks from t=
he White Motel. (661) 824-2421.

Vermillion Valley was one of my favorite stops on the entire PCT.

I'd skip Independence and Lone Pine though, and either hike straight throug=
h, or drop down to Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon, which is far, far nicer tha=
n either of those towns. It's a really easy hitch of six almost flat miles.=
 There are several campgrounds, a lodge, a restaurant, a pretty fair store,=
 (big enough for re-supply) a post office, showers, and a laundry all very =
close together (easy walking distance). And you don't have  to cross a high=
 pass to get there from the PCT. The trailhead is 13 miles from the PCT via=
 Bubbs Creek, ( 782.2 from Mexico) mile  or 15 miles from the PCT from Wood=
s Creek, after Glenn Pass ( 795 from Mexico).

Last year as I got closer to the Canadian border I though it might be funny=
 to write in the register at Stehekin that I was bagging it and going home.=
 I figured that there were more than a few people who skipped substantial p=
ortions of their "thruhike" in southern and northern CA that I would have a=
s much room to skip the last 89.3 miles and still claim I had done a "thruh=
ike." Of course I had no intention of skipping anything, and in the end did=
n't write that at Stehekin, where Meadow Ed slapped me around and told me t=
o straighten up and fly right.

Best of luck to the class of 2003! I'm jealous. I can honestly say if I had=
 the money and was in shape I really love to do it again this year? Anyone =
know of anyone who has thruhiked the PCT two years in a row?