[pct-l] leaving the trail

I don't remember his name, but when I was on the AT, there was a hiker that
quit at the first road crossing in Maine. He said he had achieved his goal.
He had "walked from Georgia to Maine". But he couldn't stand to hike the
last 200 something miles.

I skipped the last month of my Jr. year of high school to thru-hike the
Appalachian Trail in 2001. I couldn't quit for the first month because if I
returned home, they would make me go back to school, and after I was out
there for a month I figured I was out there too long and had put too much
into it to just go home... Twisted thinking? Yeah, maybe, but while I did
have a great hike for the most part, this type of thinking did help me get
through those low points when the rain didn't seem to ever stop and I was
missing things like light switches, flush toilets and most of all... Cotton.

-Brad