[pct-l] Gray's tentative resupply plan

Gray - have you already purchased the food for your maildrops?  If you
haven't, DON'T.  You can resupply in town at most locations.  It will be
cheaper in the long run, you'll get the food you want at the time, and
you'll support the local towns instead of the post office.  If you follow my
plan, you don't even need a resupply person at home to send your food to
you.  You can make your own maildrops along the trail.

Check out www.trailjournals.com/yogi  2002 PCT journal for very detailed
resupply information compiled from many 2002 hikers.

here's what I'll do when I hike again:

Mt Laguna - buy food

Warner Springs - maildrop

Idyllwild (via pines-to-palms highway) - buy food

Big Bear City - buy food

Wrightwood (via Angeles Crest Hwy 2) - buy food

Agua Dulce - buy food, and make maildrops for KM, VVR, and maybe Sierra City

Mojave - buy food - Sly is right.  The White's Motel is GREAT, and the PO in
Tehachapi is simply too far away from town.  Like at least a mile away from
town.

Onyx - buy food - the store is small, but you only need 2 days' food at the
most

KM - maildrop.  They do accept packages.  $2 per box.

Vermillion Valley Ranch - again, I agree with Sly.  Avoid Muir Trail Ranch
and go to VVR.  Most hikers go to VVR.  I heard there is a HUGE holding fee,
like $25/box at Muir Trail Ranch.  VVR had a $6/box fee in 2001 and 2002.

Red's Meadows - buy food - store is small, but you only need 1 1/2 days

Tuolumne - buy food

S. Lake Tahoe - (not Echo Lake) - buy food

Truckee - buy food.  Soda Springs is VERY SMALL.  Truckee has a big Safeway.

Sierra City - maybe maildrop, maybe buy food

Belden - go to Quincy from Belden, and buy food in Quincy.  make maildrops
for Old Station, and Burney Falls State Park

Old Station - maildrop.  The store is very small.

Burney CA - maybe go into the town of Burney and buy food
or
Burney Falls State Park - maildrop

Dunsmuir - GREAT TOWN.  buy food.  I haven't been to Castella

Etna - buy food

Seiad Valley - buy food.  the trail goes right past the store.

Ashland - buy food, and make maildrops for all stops between here and
Cascade Locks

Mazama Campground (crater lake) - buy food

Shelter Cove - maildrop.  you cannot buy food here.

Big Lake Youth Camp - I didn't go, but I heard great things about this
place.  Maybe a maildrop.

Olallie - maildrop.  This is right on the trail. you cannot buy food here

Timberline - If you call and find that there is not a holding fee, do a
maildrop.  you cannot buy food here

Cascade Locks - buy food.  and make maildrops for the rest of the trail

Trout Lake - never heard of this place

White Pass - definitely a maildrop.  you cannot buy food here.

Snoqualmie Pass - buy food

Skykomish - maildrop.  you cannot buy food here.

Stehekin - maildrop.  you cannot buy food here.

If you have any detailed questions, feel free to email me off-list.

yogi