[pct-l] Fuels for the trail.

At 12:12 PM 3/22/03, Montedodge@aol.com wrote:
>    Heet gas tank dryer is found along the trail in most places or Denatured
>at any hardware store. Rubbing alcohol can be used in a pinch ,but is not as
>hot and very sooty.

For the UK folks coming over here, the fuel (alcohol and gasoline)
terminology in the USA is different that what you are used to.

What you call Metholated spirits (or meths) we call "denatured alcohol."
Our denatured alcohol is not available in pharmacies but is often sold near
the paint in hardware stores. Our denatured alcohol is not died purple, but
is normally clear. We do not use denatured alcohol for medical purposes
like you do: we use isopropyl alcohol instead, also called "rubbing
alcohol." Isopropyl alcohol makes a really crummy fuel, but it will burn.

The most common type of camping stove is a gasoline stove, but we don't
usually burn automotive gasoline. The most common fuel is the "Coleman"
brand of stove fuel. It is similar to gasoline, but has a larger naptha
fraction than normal automotive gasoline. Most gasoline backpacking stoves
will burn gasoline instead of coleman fuel. Gasoline backpacking stoves are
being used less for long distance hikes because of the weight.

Have fun, and hike your own hike