[pct-l] Snake Bite Kit

I believe the only "snake bite kit" that is currently considered useful for
envenomated snakebite is the Sawyer Extractor.  Its use has been taught (and
probably still is) in Wilderness First Responder courses. This is NOT the
traditional old "cut and suck" system that is usually referred to as a
"snake bite kit."  The Sawyer Extractor is a small "pump" device with 2 or 3
suction cup fittings that is most effective when used quickly after the bite
occurs.  The extractor pump creates suction which removes venom from the
body by sucking it out through the bite wound itself. NO CUTTING!  A razor
is included in the kit only to shave away body hair that impairs the suction
seal.  Sawyer has an interesting website which describes how to use the
extractor, plus other information on stinging and biting critters:
http://www.sawyerproducts.com/Extractor/   Other sawyer products include
water filter sport bottles, sunblock, and insect repellent.  (I do not work
for or own stock in Sawyer Products.)

The extractor comes in a plastic case with instructions, alcohol prep pads,
a razor, etc., and the whole shebang weighs about 3 ounces.  Since I live
and hike in rattlesnake country, I usually carry it, but only 2 suctions
cups, the extractor, and abbreviated instructions in a ziploc, which weighs
one ounce or so.  I will probably carry it in the desert sections of the
PCT.  There is a "mini" extractor available but it appears worthless (to
me).

The Sawyer Extractor is a helpful tool, but is NO SUBSTITUTE for evacuation
to appropriate medical care if envenomation has occurred. Envenomation
always occurs with juvenile rattlers, which lack the ability to withhold
venom, but frequently does not occur with adult snakes who seem to know that
we are not food and they don't want to waste venom on us. Even though you
can't get all the venom out, removal of as much as possible with the
extractor apparently reduces the havoc venom can cause to tissues.  If you
plan to carry one, make sure you practice using it well before need.

The best treatment for snakebite, of course, is prevention.  We have seen
some excellent advice on this list for that.  Has anyone reading this had
personal experience with snakebite?  My worst critter experience was being
sprayed by a skunk.

Judith Gustafson
"Two Legs"