[pct-l] Wild Food

At 11:09 AM 3/20/03, Frank Kroger wrote:
>Mushrooms are another option. The safest mushrooms to eat are the ones
>that are like pin cushions on the underneath as none of those are
>poisonous. There are more edible mushrooms but I am not the one to tell
>yoiu about them. Avoid poisonous mushrooms....

FWIW, it seems that experience picking mushrooms in Europe does not apply
to the western USA. Every year the papers in the San Francisco bay area
have stories about European Immigrants (usually Russian) who are "expert
mushroom pickers" ending up dead or in the hospital after eating bad 'shrooms.

I don't know if this reflects the greater frequency of picking mushrooms
among Europeans, and just a few mistakes, or different species of mushrooms
here in the USA that look like the European "good" ones that just happen to
be deadly....

Caveat Emptor