[pct-l] Poison Oak

JD wrote:

Although poison oak is generally easily recognizable, accidents happen, such
as after dark etc.  Is it worth it to bring a product such as Tecum (sic),
or is
the extra weight not worth having?

Seems to me that the extra weight and bulk of a bottled product like Tecnu
(see http://www.life-assist.com/al100.html) is not necessary for the PCT -
where you don't have to wade through masses of poison oak, typically.
Tecnu's a great product imho, but for the PCT first-aid kit, a 1/2 oz sliver
of Fels-Naptha soap will do just fine for cleansing a wrist or shin that
you've swiped against poison oak leaves (find it in laundry soap area,
typically in stores that cater to Hispanic populations, these days.  I found
it at my local Albertson's). According to the Tecnu website, it takes only
20 minutes for the active ingredient, urushiol, to lock on to your skin,
causing a rash to erupt later.  If you wash the area within that 20 minutes
with Fels-Naptha and cold water, you should be fine (all disclaimers of
warranty apply).

I carried a 1-oz bottle of Tecnu in '94.  I might have used it after inching
by the poison oak clump near Barrel Springs but I don't remember.

And with respect to the "after dark" issue....when you're in a campsite
surrounded by poison oak, figure out where your cathole will be before it
gets dark!  (Watch out when stealth-camping... ;-))

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija

"Never measure the height of a mountain, until you have reached the top.
Then you will see how low it was."  Dag Hammarskjold