[pct-l] transportation in section D

--

Matt:
I hitched from Kennedy Meadow to Bakersfield. I got a lot of short rides fr=
om Kennedy meadows from locals just going a few miles. Then a person going =
to Ridgecrest  picked me up went out of his way taking  me to highway 178. =
This was on some national holiday May 31 or so.(Memorial day? ) and hitchin=
g was hard cars full of families. Finally got a ride with a horse person wh=
o took me the Greyhound in Bakersfield.
On the way back to the trail I took Amtrak to Bakersfield ( the Bakersfield=
 public library is right  next to the station and they offer Internet acces=
s=2E)  I took regional busses first to Mojave (the bus crossed the trail ne=
ar Tehachapi) and then transferred at Mohave  to a bus to Wrightwood. These=
 busses seemed to be chaufeured by older women who would go out of their wa=
y to pick up/drop off people (against orders from their dispatchers). Each =
time they stopped where they weren't suppposed to let anyone off they would=
 request total secrecy from all involved.
I got off this bus where highway 178 leaves highway 14 at the Ridgecrest Hi=
way. and hitched from there to KM, getting a ride from the highway with som=
eone I talked to at the intersection who normally would never have picked u=
p any hitchiker.
These regional busses run just a few times a week, so check the schedule be=
forehand.
BTW the area between Walker pass and KM was burned a few years ago and sign=
ificant stretches of the trail are through the burn. You might take that in=
to consideration when planning your hike.
Satellite (2002)
 Ripperton Matt <maripper@mindspring.com> wrote:This is a multi-part messag=
e in MIME format.
--
Greetings everyone. My name is Matt Ripperton, new to the list as of a few =
weeks ago, I've been simply reading & catching up with the goings-on while =

My question to everyone (and most specifically Ray, from the San Gabriels a=
rea who introduced himself to the list a couple of days ago) is around tran=
sportation in Section D. I want to start at the 3-points intersection on th=
e Angeles Crest Highway. I have been searching in vain for some way to get =
there without paying a fortune for a taxi. (Does anyone know how much that =
would cost from, say, the Burbank airport?) None of the LA area transit see=
ms to go up there. I also thought about coming in from the east, taking the=
 VVTA busses to Wrightwood or at least Phelan & then hitching, but from my =
searching it sounds like the highway might not be open from that side. Does=
 anyone have any suggestions?

The end of my hike will most likely be Walker Pass, or perhaps Kennedy Mead=
ows. I'd welcome transportation suggestions from those locations also if an=
yone knows. Would it be an easy hitch to Bakersfield?

Thanks,
Matt Ripperton