From: pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Eric Lee
(GAMES)
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 2:40 PM
To: Jason Hebert; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Trekking Poles

Jason wrote:

I am looking for feedback on trek poles for my 03 through hike.  I am
going
light and would love to have my hands free to do other things (ie: play
harmonica, hold umbrella, etc.).  I have had problems with my left knee
though (dislocated my knee cap in rock climbing) and am a little worried
about the stress on it over the many miles, especially on down grades.
How
much do they help take the impact off the leg joints?

Speaking for myself personally, they help an enormous amount.  My knees
and ankles are not the greatest and I was having chronic problems until
I bought myself a pair of trekking poles several years ago.  They solved
all my difficulties and I try not to go anywhere without them now.  Last
month I loaned them to a friend and didn't get them back before I went
on my next dayhike.  Ouch.  I had begun to wonder if the poles were
still necessary, but let me assure you, they are.

The poles help my joints the most on the downhills, and not so much on
the uphills (though I think they help me climb more efficiently).  In
order to get maximum benefit, it's important that you use them
correctly.  Don't just gently tap them on the ground every couple of
steps.  Use them as extra legs and really put your weight on them.
There's definitely a correct technique that you have to acquire.

I'm also a big fan of the angled hand-grips on mine which help maintain
a more natural wrist angle.

Eric