[pct-l] Re: umbrellas

Jason,

I carried an umbrella in '00 from Agua Dulce to Walker
Pass.  I would do it again, except this time I'd carry
it from Campo to Walker Pass.  You may want to carry
it all the way to Kennedy Meadows, but you don't need
it in the Sierras.  I can't comment about using it in
rain; I haven't had the chance yet.

It occasionally got caught in the wind, caught in
heavy brush, but it was SO worthwhile to be able to
hike through the heat of the day without having to
wear my hat all the time, that the minor irritations
associated with it were soon forgotten.  Usually, when
there was wind or brush I would fold it down and stow
it away.  The long straight handle fit down inside the
padding between my pack and it's support pad (so that
the handle was wedged tightly between pack's crevices
and my shoulder strap so that it was sitting upright
over my head).  The umbrella was hands-free this way,
which was immensely helpful.  I don't recommend a
lighter, expensive short-handled one, because it can't
be hands-free and would be too fly-away in high winds.

After weeks of repeated use, the umbrella survived
100% intact.  Not even a rip in the mylar.  And my
case wasn't isolated.  My hiking partner used the same
supplies (different method of taping his mylar to the
surface), and his was fine, too.  In fact, both of our
umbrellas now occupy a prestigous location in the gear
closet next to the ice axes, as necessary items for
our next desert traverse.

Supplies I used:  1 old style Walmart large umbrella
with long straight handle - looks really heavy, but
weighs 1 lb (and for a light hiker, I still think it's
worth it) 1 mylar emergency space blanket from any
outfitter or sporting goods store Lots o' duct tape
Scissors (whole thing costs less than $10 using these
supplies)

Cut mylar in any pattern or shape so that it
completely covers the umbrella's upper surface, neatly
taping it tight with duct tape on all edges and seams.
 Use a lot of tape, so that the mylar is tight -- when
you fold the umbrella down, the mylar should fold
right along with it.

Again, I recommend one from Campo to K Meadows. It's
not really a must-have, but it saves you from being
irradiated all day, it saves you from having to take
siesta breaks, it saves you from having to wear a hat
all of the time.  It's the difference between hiking
all day in direct hot sun or hiking all day in the
shade.

Nocona

usefullness of this item. When it should/shouldn't