[pct-l] Pasta suggestions

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Thanks for the info, Roger. I will look for that supergrain you mentioned.
Also, we met Jen at last year's ALDHA-West gathering. She is a wealth of
information. I'm experimenting with some ideas now and if they turn out good
will share them.

Granny

"Money is an excellent servant, but a terrible master." --PT Barnum
>From: "Roger Carpenter"
>To: "PCT-L"
>Subject: [pct-l] Pasta suggestions
>Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 18:36:36 -0800

>--
>Granny wrote:
> >>Ray Jardine is a big advocate of corn pasta for its
>nutrients and energy boost. We tried it once and weren't impressed. However,
>would like to dehydrate some additives for it and try again. Does anybody out
>there have a good recipe? <<
>
>Granny, I am one of the few people I know who actually enjoyed my corn pasta
on the trail on my thru hike in '96. But.... (and now the real story), only
with certain cheese sauces. For some reason I hated it with tomato sauce. My
favorite cheese sauce mixes were the Mayacamas alfredo sauce and their cheddar
or 3-cheese sauce. Adding garlic made it even better!

>Even better, try the Ancient Harvest brand "supergrain pasta" which has both
corn and quinoa. I can't see much difference in the nutrition facts, but
quinoa is a complete protein and provides more amino acids.

>Better yet, buy some quinoa (same brand if you want) and add it to some of
your other recipes. I think a mixture of quinoa and corn grits (polenta) with
a tomato sauce would be a great meal on the trail. You will most likely find
quinoa at health food stores.

>For a great list of food-related web sites, go to the ALDHA-West web site. I
added a link on the home page to an article written by Jen Schaeffer,
ALDHA-West's Food Editor. I'm sure you would find some of the sites worth
checking out.