[pct-l] new jackets by golite: anyone tried them?

> Has anyone tried out the new ultralight windshells by Golite yet (name:
> ether)?

>They are made out of silnylon (I think)

The golite website says:

Ultra-lite 15x40 denier ripstop nylon with a durable water repellent (DWR)
finish.

> Any experience with these ultralight jackets?

I have been using the somewhat similar Montane Featherlite Smock which is
3oz made from Pertex Microlite.  [Cheaper though, I picked up both the pants
and the smock for less than the Ether.]  My experience is that the Montane
smock keeps me dry for approx 1hour in a light-moderate rain w/ moderate
0-10mph winds.  [Less time in a heavy rain and/or high winds.]  After about
an hour the more exposed / stressed parts of the smock start to wet through
and the clothing underneath starts to get damp.  I get soaked after around 2
hours.  Montane Featherlite dry very quickly once you are out of the rain:
in approx 15 minutes if I am wearing them, in around 1 hour if hung up to
dip dry (when it is 60-65F/80% humidity).

--Mark