[pct-l] water bottles and umbrellas

On our long hike in 96 (all High Sierra, section H and connectors) we
carried about 5 liter capacity each.  We used soda bottles (1 and 2
liter) and carried 2 liter bladders (Gregory Mylar, now extinct, so now
we are using Camelback bladders) inside our packs.  I had a Kelty Cirque
pack which has a single vertical aluminum stay.  The top of the stay is
exposed if you lift a velcro flap, making this a very convenient place
to hang a water bladder vertically inside the pack, close to the back.
Some folks might find this possible in their pack.  It was very
comfortable.  We usually carried three liters during the day and filled
the 2 liter bottle at our last water stop before dinner, and used that
water for dinner prep.
We bought cheapo umbrella hats from a costume shop, resewed them in some
weak spots, and wear them on non-windy rainy days.  They look silly but
leave the hands free to use hiking poles and keep the rain off.  On
windy rainy we use the rain jacket hood.
llamalady