[pct-l] Pasta suggestions

--
Granny wrote:
>>Ray Jardine is a big advocate of corn pasta for its
nutrients and energy boost. We tried it once and weren't impressed. However=
, I
would like to dehydrate some additives for it and try again. Does anybody o=
ut
there have a good recipe? <<

Granny, I am one of the few people I know who actually enjoyed my corn past=
a on the trail on my thru hike in '96. But.... (and now the real story), on=
ly with certain cheese sauces.  For some reason I hated it with tomato sauc=
e=2E  My favorite cheese sauce mixes were the Mayacamas alfredo sauce and t=
heir cheddar or 3-cheese sauce.  Adding garlic made it even better!

Even better, try the Ancient Harvest brand "supergrain pasta" which has bot=
h corn and quinoa.  I can't see much difference in the nutrition facts, but=
 quinoa is a complete protein and provides more amino acids.

Better yet, buy some quinoa (same brand if you want) and add it to some of =
your other recipes.  I think a mixture of quinoa and corn grits (polenta) w=
ith a tomato sauce would be a great meal on the trail.  You will most likel=
y find quinoa at health food stores.

For a great list of food-related web sites, go to the ALDHA-West web site. =
 I added a link on the home page to an article written by Jen Schaeffer, AL=
DHA-West's Food Editor.  I'm sure you would find some of the sites worth ch=
ecking out.
www.aldhawest.org

Roger Carpenter
ALDHA-West webmaster