From: pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Patrick Shannon
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 12:14 AM
To: PacificCrestTrail@yahoogroups.com
Cc: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net; ultralightersanonymous@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [pct-l] PCT Thru-hike gearlist

--

This is a post I made to the BackpackingLight Yahoo! Group, but I wanted to
post it here as well to get as much feedback as possible from the most
experienced people. Thanks for your help! I am certainly not an
ultralighter, nor am I trying to be, but I'm attempting to work with the
lightweight approach.

Pack/Shelter/Sleep                   104.9

Clothing      106.7

Kitchen         24.4

Water            22.6

Hygiene        14.1

Other Tools  39.5

Camera Gear 54.2

Luxuries        24.5

                       390.9            =3D24.43 lbs

PACK/SHELTER/SLEEP:

GoLite Gust Pack      20.0

Lowe Pro Topload Zoom Mini Fannypack                           6.0

Adventurelite Backpack Raincover (Small)                         2.5

Adventurelite Stuff Sacks     2.5

Integral Designs Silshelter tarp 14.0

Advenutre 16 Bug Bivy        6.5

Tyvex Groundsheet  5.0

Titanium Mountaineering Light Duty Skewer Stakes (8)
2=2E0

Western Mountaineering Ultralight Sleepingbag 27.6

Jagbag Standard Endura Silk Liner bag                  4.8

Therm-A-Rest Ultralite =BE Length Pad                14.0

                     104.9

Notes: The biggest change I made was moving from a 69oz Mountainsmith pack
to the GoLite Gust. I am a little unsure about this. Will it really support
me and my gear if I can reach my goal of a sub-20 base pack (including
clothes wearing)? The reviews here and elsewhere online seem to be pretty
good for the most part. I have some slight lower back problems, nothing
major. To take some of the weight off the lighter pack and to have my camera
very accessable (I do like this system better for my camera) I figured I
would add the Lowe Pro Topload Zoom Mini Fannypack to my gear. Both of these
together still at up to 26 oz as opposed to the old packs 69. Im also
interested in the Moonlite that is now being discussed in the group.

As for shelter. You guys have convinced me to try the tarp idea. Im still
not entirely comfortable with this either. But I=92m going to practice some
with it before the hike. But I have to ask one more time: will it really
keep me and all my stuff dry? I also have a Hilleberg Akto tent which was my
original plan for a home, but weighs 44 oz.

I went with the therm-a-rest so that I could have my chair, I really like
having that in the backcountry.

CLOTHING:

Winter Silks Lightweight Shortsleeve Crewneck        2.5

Mont-Bell UL Down Inner Jacket              6.9

SilkSkins Silk Jersey Turtleneck                         3.6

InSport Nylon Shorts             3.0

Railriders Adventure Pants                         7.5

SilkSkins Ankle Length Pants 3.4

Frogg Toggs Rain Jacket     8.5

Adventurelite Fleece Socks (2) (Winter only)                      (6.0)

REI Silk One Liner Socks (3)          1.5

Bite Trail Sandals                       34.1

Trail Running Shoes (undecided on model)     22.0

OR Flex-Tex Low Gaiters             4.0

Hikelite Polypropylene Gloves             1.0

OR Rain Mitts (Winter only)                      (1.4)

GoLite Frost Ultralite Fleece Cap                  1.5

OR Sahara Cap (Sun hat) (Desert only)            (2.8)

SilkSkins Balaclava        3.4

Bandana         0.9

Cascade Designs PackTowel      2.9

                       106.7     (Winter: 114.1; Desert 109.5)

Notes: Can you tell I like silk? The one major change I made was to replace
rain pants and mid fleece layer with the RailRider pants saving me about
8oz. I think this should work well, but do I have enough insulation for the
legs in cold weather? I plan on hiking with sandals most of the time if
possible (never hiked in sandals before), but have trail shoes for back-up,
anyone have some good models in mind? I have been reading archives and have
a few models in mind.

KITCHEN:

Brasslite Micro Stove w/ windscreen     1.5

Brasslite 16oz Fuel Bottle      2.5

REI Stormproof Matches/B-Day Candles           1.0

Brunton Helios Stormproof Lighter            1.8

Evernew .9L Non-Stick Titanium Pot                   5.0

styrofoam cup (put in pot for protection)     0.1

Antigravity Gear Pot Cozy         2.0

Lexan Spoon  0.2

Multi Spice Shaker (full)    5.3

Ursack TKO Bearbag          5.0

Garcia Bear-Resistant Container (when necessary) (44.0)

                        24.4                 (w/ Bear Cannister:  68.4)

Notes: Will only use cannister when parks legally require me too.

WATER:

General Ecology First Need Deluxe Water Filter  18.0

MSR Dromlite 4L Water Bladders (2 in desert)     3.6
(7.2)

1L Soda Bottles (2)                    1.0

                         22.6       (Desert: 26.2)

Notes: I know there has been a large amount of talk about water filtering
recently in the group. I am definitely going to treat my water somehow. I
think I prefer filtering but have never tried Aqua Mira (my chemical
treatment experience is with Iodine, so that may explain my negative
feelings about chemical treatment). I originally chose this one because it
had high lpm and long life for the filter, but now I really need to lighten
up here. Any suggestions on specific filters to lighten up my load? Also, I
was originally using the lighter Platypus bladders, but have read so many
reviews about the them leaking or the caps breaking, I changed to a more
durable model. Does anyone know if recent improvements have been made to the
Platypus products that would change this?

HYGIENE:

Campsuds (in 1oz bottle)             1.2

Insect Repellant (in Rembrandt breath freshener bottle)             0.4

Sunscreen      0.8

Purell 2-in-1 Hand Sanitizer and Moisturizer     2.6

Julbo Micropore Polycarbonate Sunglasses     1.0

Lip Balm          0.5

Dental Floss   0.1

Tooth Brush  0.2

Tooth Paste   0.8

Medication/Daily Vitamin/Case (weeks supply) 3.5

Toilet Paper    1.0

REI Sanitation Trowel             2.0

                       14.1

OTHER TOOLS:

Guidebook section            2.0

Fisher Lacquered Space Pen       1.0

REIPocketsize Weatherproof Notebook (camera shots/other notes)
2=2E0

35=92 length of Kelty triptease guyline            1.0

Duct Tape      1.0

Hikelite Emergency Blanket            1.8

First-Aid Kit   3.0

Timex Helix Baro-/Alti-/Thermometer Watch             2.0

Petzl Tikka Headlamp       2.5

Cassin Ghost Ice Axe (Winter only)            (9.0)

Classic Swiss Army Knife    0.7

Sewing/Repairs Kit                    5.0

MSR Overland Carbon Trekking Poles             17.0

Mini Fox 40 Safety Whistle 0.5

                         39.5      (Winter: 48.5)

Notes: With the trekking poles I looked for no anti-shock (a lot of people
complain of poles slipping) and the angled handles.

CAMERA(my #1 hobby):

Nikon N80    22.5

AF Nikkor 28-105 Zoom Lens   17.2

Campmor Ultrapod II      4.2

Fuji 400 Film (6 rolls on longest stretch)           5.1

Filter                1.5

Lens Cleaner (Delta1 OFR Mist)               2.8

Lens Cloth      0.5

Spare Battery 0.4

                       54.2

Notes: I knowmy camera and lens isn=92t the lightest products I could find =
by
a long shot, but I=92ve become attached to my camera gear. I have decided to
leave back my close up lens, my full length tripod, and several filters.

LUXURIES (I cant resist the temptation to have a few toys!):

Therm-A-Rest Lite 20 Chair 10.0

Star Chart       0.1

Reading book (ripped into sections)         5.0

Pocketmail Composer       8.5

Sun Company Trekling Hiking Pedometer      0.9

                       24.5

Thank you in advance for your responses, this group's help has been so
wonderful so far and I'm excited for your responses here.

 Patrick