[pct-l] Umbrellas

In a message dated 3/14/03 5:36:29 PM, blisterfree@isp01.net writes:

<< Or try it out in rainy Washington. It's nice to wind your way up and down

volcanic passes without a crummy rain jacket collecting all of your body

heat and moisture. In rain, an umbrella keeps the head and torso

substantially drier than a rain jacket, especially during heavy exertion. >>

I tried thiis for a while and it worked great. But I found it hard to keep
the umbrella from being damaged by one thing or another. If they came up with
a bomb proof umbrella I would definitely go for it. And a way to easily
attach it to a pack especially an internal frame one
 Now my strategy is to simply let my outer clothes get wet if a rain persists
for more than 2 hours ( temp 45+ -not a good idea in a real cold rain) and
stow the now useless rain jacket- Supplex nylon dries mighty fast. I just
make absolutely sure I have a complete set of fleece clothing (hat, shirt,
pants, socks, light gloves) and parka (1lb) dry in my pack for getting into w
hen I camp. I hang the supplex stuff close to a tree that acts like an
umbrella  in case the rain persists overnight and they are at least
reasonably dry the next morning. Or I have a campfire and dry everything out
if the rain has stopped