[pct-l] new to list - and have a question about transportation to a midwaypoint on the JMT

Hello everyone:

I'm new to the list, and a virgin to the Sierras. Have hiked Mt.
Rainier's Wonderland trail twice, so have some long trail experience.
Always thought that John Muir must have been raving in his descriptions
of the High Sierras - but since his description of Mt. Rainier was
dead-on, I'd like to see the place he loved most and walk his namesake
trail.

Here's a short setup and question: I'd like to spend ~14 days hiking the
JMT from an approximate midway point north to Yosemite Valley. Most
likely will start right after Labor Day 2003, will fly in from NC. Can
y'all recommend a good access point approximately midway on the JMT? Any
reliable shuttle services, or places with bus service? I only need
one-way transportation - my wife will be meeting me in Yosemite Valley
at trail's end.

Thanks in advance for your time. I look forward to your replies,

John
John McGee
Environmental Engineer
U. S. EPA