[pct-l] Umbrellas

When it comes to umbrellas, there is no "should" or "should not." There is
only "try."

For example, try it out on the desert sections of the PCT. On a hot sunny
day, it can be a nice feeling to walk shirtless without developing a
blistering sunburn, and without having to slather on an umbrella weight's
worth of sunscreen.

Or try it out in rainy Washington. It's nice to wind your way up and down
volcanic passes without a crummy rain jacket collecting all of your body
heat and moisture. In rain, an umbrella keeps the head and torso
substantially drier than a rain jacket, especially during heavy exertion.

The GoLite umbrella is about as light as they come, commercially. If handy
with a sewing machine, you can replace the stock canopy (tafetta) with one
of silicone nylon, which is lighter, stronger, and fully waterproof.

Still, for the sake of the canopy, guard against tree branches.

And for the sake of the spokes and tines, guard against wind.

As with anything, there are compromises.

- blisterfree