[pct-l] Re: Re Pines Fire and Barrel Springs - Long

--
Charlie,

I am forwarding your message to the list.  Thanks.

Greg

In a message dated 3/13/2003 3:26:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, CharlieJones
writes:

> Greg,
>
> Here's an article that PCT hikers from all over might like to see. I
> thought you might post it on the PCT-List for all to view. (I've
> unsubscribed for a while or I'd do it myself.)
>
> Charlie
>

> <A HREF=3D"http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/outdoors/20030308-9999_mz=
1s8trail.html">Click here: SignOnSanDiego.com >Sports -- COMEBACK TRAIL</A>

<<<
A hike through areas of the Pines Fire shows healing process has begun

Ed Zieralski
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

March 8, 2003

ED ZIERALSKI / Union-Tribune
At Barrel Springs, the Pacific Coast Trail scorched by July's fire invites
hikers and nature lovers back.

It's been a little more than seven months since the Pines fire swept through
the backcountry and burned 62,000 acres from Banner Grade to Ranchita. But
it's amazing how quickly nature heals.

Beneath the blackened rows of chaparral, new green sprouts grow at the base
of the charred sticks. Small baby cacti sprout, along with the tiniest of
mountain flowers, in full bloom and offering a stark contrast to the darken=
ed
soil.

One can take in the scope of that devastating fire by driving, but the only
way to really witness the healing is to get out and feel the earth under
one's hiking boots. That's the only way to truly experience the rebirth that
is playing out every day and every night.

I started my trek along S1, the fabulous Sunrise Highway. It was here that
fire crews waged a dramatic fight and stopped the fire from spreading into
the Lagunas. Had they failed here, there's no telling what would have become
of the Lagunas and even the Cuyamacas.

The Lagunas' flora was singed here, but not destroyed.

At mile marker 26.5 on S1, look for the viewing stand and parking lot on the
east side of the road. It's nearly 6,000 feet here, and just below the stan=
d,
the Pacific Crest Trail parallels the highway. The fire burned all along th=
is
ridge, hitting some areas, missing others. I followed the trail north and s=
aw
the dramatic changes in the landscape. Some areas along the steep eastern
escarpment look like the surface of the moon, while in others, the live and
black oak trees and mountain mahogany remain intact.

My main mission was to hike down to Oasis Spring to see if it was
fire-damaged. After about a quarter-mile of walking north, the PCT continues
north, but an old fire road heads downhill to Oasis Spring.

As I walked down the road to the spring, it soon became a one-track path,
littered with large fallen rocks from the steep ravine. There were warm
updrafts from the desert mixing with cool mountain breezes, and the only
sounds were from the wind and the rustling pines.

It's only a mile hike down to Oasis Spring, also amazingly untouched by the
fire. The old well structure is brimming with water, and a stream runs
downhill to the red pumphouse. The spring gushes into the canyon and trickl=
es
down a manmade spillway.

I expected to see lots of animal tracks, but only saw tracks from one critt=
er
=E2=80=93 a smallish mountain lion, maybe a female or a small male. No deer=
, nothing
else.

After some exploring around the spring, I hiked back out and took a detour =
on
the Pacific Crest Trail. It offers excellent views of the fire-scarred areas
and the desert below.

Back on Sunrise Highway, I drove to my next hike, at the western end of the
fire, off S22 or Montezuma Valley Road, the road to Ranchita and Borrego
Springs.

>From Sunrise Highway, I took state Route 79 into Julian and connected with
state Route 78 to take in Banner Grade, where the fire started. A National
Guard and Drug Enforcement Administration helicopter, while on a search,
knocked down some power lines and ignited it here last July 29.

It's here that the fire not only blackened soil, but also burnt homes and
took dreams. Looking to the left heading down Banner Grade, one can see
charred structures and other signs.

More than seven months later, these people in Banner Grade and many others
impacted by the fire await settlements from the government over their losse=
s=2E

Turning west on S2, or San Felipe Road, the first sign of the fire can be
seen in the Department of Fish and Game's San Felipe Wildlife Area. The area
was once choked with thick brush, but the fire performed a needed service in
clearing it out. Above the valley, the fire devastated Volcan Mountain,
burning huge cedar and oak trees that stood for decades.

It was here in San Felipe Valley that I saw my first deer of the trip. The
combination of escape areas into remaining old growth and new food in the
burn areas should mean excellent deer hunting in the near future.

Turning onto Montezuma Valley Road, I could see how the fire raced toward
Warner Springs. But again, some miraculous work by the fire crews kept it
from getting there. Instead, it burned into the San Felipe Hills and toward
Ranchita, where signs thank the firemen for saving property and lives.

At Barrel Springs, I picked up the Pacific Crest Trail. The fire was thorou=
gh
here, burning up the live oaks and chaparral, clearing huge draws that once
were lined with brush.

But down below the PCT, in a wash now visible because of its loss of canopy,
the sand was loaded with fresh deer tracks.

The deer, the cacti, the desert and mountain flowers -- they're all coming
back.

Ed Zieralski: (619) 293-1225 or <A HREF=3D"mailto:ed.zieralski@uniontrib.co=
m">ed.zieralski@uniontrib.com</A>