[pct-l] ice axes and stoves??

--

Greetings PCT community,

My name is Anthony Culpepper (aka Trippin Ant AT=9202).  I plan on starting=
 my PCT thru =96 hike sometime around 05 May.  Anyway, I would appreciate s=
ome advice for you PCT vets. out there.

First, I would like opinions on ice axes.  What are some of the best light =
weight models out there?

Secondly, stoves.   My current inventory consists of a wisperlight, a pocke=
trocket, and a couple of homemade alcohol stoves.  On my AT thru hike I use=
d the pocketrocket, which is a great little stove.  The only thing I do not=
 like about it is the waste of using the canisters.  I plan on switching to=
 alcohol for the PCT.  The one thing that concerns me is the increased cook=
ing time at higher altitudes.   I realize that this is a bit specific; but,=
 does anyone out there happen to know, approximately, how many oz. fuel it =
takes to boil 500mL of water for 15 min at 10000 ft.  Or, would it be bette=
r to switch to the canister stove for the Sierras.

Thanks for any feedback,

Anthony Culpepper

I guess you guys have been having that classic debate over water treatment.=
  Usually when I am out and about I carry my Katadyn Mini.  It is ceramic w=
hich is slow to pump not that light, but it works great.  I lugged it aroun=
d for my entire AT thru hike.  However, I probably only used it 20-30% of t=
he time, mostly in Maine (beaver pond outlets) and NJ/NY/CT (mucky remnants=
 of streams).  The main reason I filter is get rid of floating mater.  More=
 than likely I am going to carry it on the PCT as well.  That being said us=
e your own judgment and use what ever means of treatment you feel comfortab=
le with.  Of course, remember to sanitize those hands after going to the ba=
throom.