[pct-l] water filters

When I do filter water, which is rarely in the Sierra Nevadas and
generally everywhere else, I use the cheapest lightest filter there is.
It is sold in cheaper sporting goods stores, weighs 5 oz and costs under
$30.  It may be called a Coghlan's or a Timberline.  It is a white
plastic pump and a white filter cannister with some hose attachments. I
wrap the filter cannister with 1/4 inch foam secured with rubber bands
to keep the bigger particles out.  This filter easily gets me through a
year's hiking without clogging, used only when I have to filter lake
water or stagnant spring trickles or any stream outside the High
Sierra.  I have seen replacement filters sold at Red's Meadow and
Tuolumne and other trail-close locations.
llamalady