[pct-l] Aqua Mira v. Pristine

Hi, my name is Judith and I will be at the kickoff.  I am section hiking
California this year.

Yogi Hiker asked about Pristine (also sold by another company as AquaMira).
I plan to use Pristine, and recently bought some from South Summit.  Their
web address is:   http://www.southsummit.com/index.htm

I have thyroid problems, possibly as a result of having used iodine for an
extended trip 10 years ago.  I don't plan to use it again unless it's an
emergency.  I've done as much reading about chlorine dioxide as I could
manage, and believe it will be a good choice for me.  I also have used GSE
(grapefruit seed extract) for some time in my water pik for dental care, and
recently learned that it is also sold as "Travelers Friend," to purify
drinking water.  Has anyone ever tried that?  I considered taking a filter,
despite my tendency to leave essential parts of it home and having to use
backup water treatment I wisely brought.  So if I'm happy with this new
system of water treatment, I might stick with it forever.  Unless it makes
me mutate into a new species of crawling vermin.

I came across a website that features Teva-type sandals with toe protectors,
aimed toward trail runners and hikers, among other outdoor pursuits.  You
may find it interesting:   http://www.biteshoes.com/2002/outdoor.htm

I have been lurking for some time now, plus reading all the archived
messagaes and hikers journals, and I have learned so much!  I am grateful to
all "who came before" and took the time and energy to share their
experiences and knowledge.  It makes an overwhelming and scary undertaking
like PCT seem possible!  Thanks.