[pct-l] Getting to the Trail head on Mexican border

--

Hi Karen,

Most hikers spend the first night on the trail near Campo.  You might want =
to pick up a few items at the Campo store before it closes.  It's 2.6 miles=
 round trip to the border from Campo.  You'll want to take pictures!  There=
's an INS facility in Campo with lots of border guards.  If you camp the fi=
rst night near Campo, you'll be near the INS facility - a place illegals wi=
ll want to avoid.  You'll be within "screaming distance" of the border guar=
ds.  The next day you'll want to hike the 20 miles to Lake Morena.

Camel AT 98
Starman PCT 00
Tim CDT 02
 karen bresslin <numbrrrs@hotmail.com> wrote:I was just wondering if anyone=
 had a solution for getting to the trailhead
in a timely manner. I've read how to physically get there, which reflects
arriving in Campo around 5:00pm. But then I read that ideally you want to
hike in about 20 miles the first day in order to get to water and get away
from the Mexican border (reducing the chance of an incident with an illegal
alien). Arriving at 5:00pm and hiking 20 miles that same day just isn't
realistic for me ... ha,ha. The couple people I know who have hiked the PCT
had family or friends in the area to drive them to the trailhead. I,
unfortunately, do not have either. Does anyone have another solution to this
problem? I would so appreciate the input.
Thanks,
Numbrrs