[pct-l] bear boxes and hard ground?

Hi again-

Here's a question on using bear boxes which there seem to be a lot of on
the southern part of the JMT.  The goal is to use the cannister as
little as possilbe where bear boxes are avail.  Is this a rational approach?

Also, it seems like the bear boxes would be at overused sites with hard,
compressed ground.  Exactly the kind of place Ray suggests not to
camp...in that the ground provides no cushioning or insulation when
compacted to oblivion by countless campers.  So, does this obviate using
sites with bear boxes, or should i just plan on carrying a cannister the
entire trip.  We are starting June 1 at Horseshoe Meadows.  If we need
the cannister the entire trip, does anyone know if you can rent them
anywhere near the southern terminus of the JMT?

Thanks,

Nate "JMT 2003"